Monday, August 17, 2015

My checkered future

Friends and Comrades,

It has long been agreed that Sundays weigh heavily upon the populace; this has been documented throughout the centuries  in memoirs, novels and short stories, news reports, scientific studies and etc.

Sundays with Mama et Papa are no exception.

This past week I decided to take matters into my paws by suggesting an innovation and a return to the pastimes of pre-21st century-- a non electronic, non digital, strictly analog board game.

I selected checkers. First challenge: to find a checkers board; a glass trivet. Next, checkers pieces. Quarters and pennies.



Finally: learn the rules.

For that last, I consulted Mama who had been known as a Checkers Champion in her youth. Slowly, carefully I elicited the complex intricacies of the game, direction of moves, jumps and the ever important, "King Me."

My first challenger, Papa. Perhaps, my friends and comrades, you will not be surprised that I soundly trumped him.  My double jumps, keen appreciation for the necessity of both strong offense and defense, and finally my crowning achievement, racking up the Kings, led me to victory time and time again.

Realizing that it might be time to reap some winnings, I cautiously suggested a little wager. What a fantastic idea! Here you see me dressed in a tux, ready for the evening out on the town that I was able to pay for thanks to my checkers prowess.

Sundays will never be the same.

Perhaps you'd like to play a little game and place a little wager? Let me know in the comments section below.

As ever, your loyal and strategically-thinking pal, Mercury

No comments: