Sunday, September 30, 2007

Japanese Meal: gushing











The photo above shows Me at home waiting [and waiting] for a meal. While I would not describe this as a begging attitude, I'm sorry to report that meal times at the Roushanzamirs can be irregular [highly].


Such is never the case at the home of Grandmere et Grandpere. The following story illustrates that happy circumstance.


Promptly upon my arrival at Norfolk Grandmere et Grandpere whisked me to Kotabuki [click the link] a 5-star Japanese restaurant [fortunately located 1 block or so from their spacious townhouse in the historic Ghent neighborhood]. The sushi Chef, a man of highly dignified mien, stands guard over the extraordinary array of fresh fish; the Chef is a tall man, little given to smiles or social chit chat.

In any case, immediately we sit down and are served Horin Gekkeikan an ultra-premium or, more precisely, Junmai Daiginjo sake. Quite frankly the best I've ever sampled. As we sip our wine, the Chef carefully and I daresay lovingly, prepares 3 sashimi platters. And when they appear, what a gloriously beautiful presentation & what a highly satisfactory, gourmet delight.


[below, a soup bowl with the requisite chopstikcs, usually filled with Udon; my Grandmere kindly presented them to me, as a substitute for my usual doggie bowls, for when I eat Japanese noodles at home. And see entries of July 31, 2006 and February 15, 2007 for more information about serving ware at the Roushanzamir home!]





[As I'm showing examples of the Japanese aesthetic, below is a screen, over 50 years old; it graces the luxurious guest room in Grandmere's & Grandpere's home. By the way, my own Mama was born in Nagoya, Japan--year unknown or at least unrevealed--but here I digress]



Such was my welcome at Kotabuki [click the link] that, after finishing the delicate sashimi [raw fish, accompanied by sculpted radish with rice on the side] and as we were leaving [to take a well-deserved, post-parandial nap], the solemn sushi Chef bestowed on me a beautific smile.

What a fortunate way to begin my holiday!

5 comments:

elle said...

Please tell Murph that his write-up of Kotobuki restaurant is excellent. [a note from blog editor: Gandpere, who wrote this message, insists that Mercury Murphy is an Irish boy]

elle said...

Sidney sends his regards.

Elle Roushanzamir said...

Pam says, "How wonderful these culinary adventures sound!"

Elle Roushanzamir said...

Pam says, "How wonderful these culinary adventures sound!"

elle said...

Grandmere says, "The kotobuki excursion did have me giggling out loud as I read it. And the photos are smashing!"