Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Silent Be, it was the cat






Dear Friends & Fans,

[new blog readers, please note: Everything in a pinkish-purple-ish color below is a link that, when clicked, will expand upon what I've written about any given topic.]


For the first time since I began this blog, I'm afraid I shall let you down. My wide-ranging interests have strayed from English humor in television & film. I shall mention one or two of the best in each category.

And do read on to find the promised treat, a Cockney Rhyming Slang web site; the time you spend perusing that site will gratify your love of the World Wide Waste-of-Time-- Although since Cockney Rhyming Slang is a cultural treasure, code-words cunningly devised to avoid upper-class interference with Cockney lives, your time will not be wasted. [A few examples of same are given below.]


Television:



Keeping Up Appearances: One of my favorites, sometimes shown on American TV [PBS] & on BBC America.



Also: To the Manor Born, Are You Being Served?, and As Time Goes By [with Oscar-winning Judy Densch]



For more on each of these surf your way to http://www.imdb.com/


Films? My Beautiful Landrette, Prick Up Your Ears [Gary Oldman, Alfred Molina & Vanessa Redgrave] and We Think the World of You [with Alan Bates, Gary Oldman, it explores their relationship and their interactions a very special dog]. Go to the Internet Movie Data Base for lots of info on these as well as the television shows.



Cockney Rhyming Slang! [this is a link]

Click the link above for a real treat. Just a few examples:

Half inch = "pinch" as in: Seen 'is new telly? Bet he half inched it.

Trouble & strife = "wife"

Pork pie = "lie" as in: Who's been telling porkies then?

Tea leaf = "thief" as in Don't take your eyes off 'im--'e's a tea-leaf.

Friar Tuck = f--k. [I won't elaborate]

Enough said. Be sure to check it all out at your earliest opportunity!

BTW:

"Silent Be, it was the cat" is from Gilbert & Sullivan's H.M.S. Pinafore. See previous entry for more on Gilbert & Sullivan and by the way, the "cat" mentioned is not a cute little pussy-cat!

Finis:
I trust you've enjoyed this romp through English humor [today's entry & the previous entry]. Revisit my blog again soon as I continue to expand my boundaries--- and yours.l

No comments: