Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Welcome, 2008

Conscientious bloggers incessantly search for the appropriate combination of words & visuals with which to express their sentiments. Therefore, as you will imagine, the hunt for an image to precisely express my new year message began some time ago.

I was looking for something bold, an object of beauty, yet a useful thing, for something extravagant and simple.

And yet, that hunt went unrewarded until last night: New Year's Eve. Here's the story:

Mama et Papa Call It A Day everyday at the cocktail hour and late-night partying is, for them, passe. [BTW, Mama insists that "to party" is not a verb that belongs in the English language; she's so mid-20th century, pauvre Mama.] Thus, our new year's eve party was scheduled for 5PM & restricted to a highly select [eccentric?] guest list.

The drinks offered excluded champagne [not only the norm at new year's eve parties, but my favored tipple, although I occasionally indulge in an inspirational pre-blogging vodka martini] but included ginger ale and Fuze (don't ask), as well as the old standards, i.e., beer, scotch and vodka. The menu: roast pork loin, roast potatoes, steamed green beans, yogurt-wth-cucummber, garlic bread, and mixed greens with honey-truffles-mustard-oil&vinegar dressing. Cheeses, nuts and dried fruits. [The surprise featured chef: Mama]

Here's The Kicker

Was it sheer serendipity that Ruth & George brought me the most gorgeous gift I've ever received which simultaneously provided the perfect representation of my new year's message?

[caption: my new year's bone!]

[Expressed in Words:]

Dear Friends & Loyal Fans, May 2008 bring you health and happiness, prosperity and peace. And in the fulness of time, may you exprience every blessing in joyful abundance .

with love, Mercury Murphy/M²/Roushanzamir

post script: I will deliver soon on my promise to describe my Christmas dinner party. It was one of the best parties I've ever attended & certainly serves as ballast to Mama et Papa's peculiar approach to entertaining.

No comments: