Tuesday, June 29, 2010

I am a Miniature!


Self reflection has the potential for positive and negative outcomes. On the one hand, self reflection leads to personal and spiritual growth. But it can also enmesh one in a tangled web of doubt and even despair.

My own contemplation has led to a surprising result: physical growth.

Yes, I exaggerate. However, I've discovered that far from the toy poodle tag with which I was branded by the American Kennel Association and contrary to my lineage which runs to the toy category, I am a Miniature!

Physical size tends to be the qualifier forthe toy, miniature and standard poodle descriptor. My first suspicions were aroused when I learned that my breeder told Maman et Papa that my top weight was expected to be 8.5 pounds. Patently ridiculous for I am now at a comfortable 12. I searched the AKC official poodle book for qualifying measurements and rechecked the information on the AKC web site . Honesty compels me to note that according to the measurements taken at my doctor's office, I seem to be on the toy-miniature cusp. At first this seemed an insurmountable barrier to true self knowledge.

Further contemplation suggested that proper assessment comprises qualitative as well as quantitative values. Among the qualitative values: strength, self-possession, tough demeanor with a heart of gold, a light and springy gait, willingness to help the little chap and challenge the oppressor, large intellect and a sizable girth, etc.

As most of you already know, I possess all these qualities in abundance.

In the end, self reflection was a highly positive experience leading from restricted self knowledge through an identity crisis to a fully realized sense of the true me.

Now no longer under the false impression that I'm a toy poodle, I proclaim my newly acquired knowledge to the multitudes (and to my faithful fans & friends): I am a Miniature!

Note: Strangely & despite what I regard as the fruits of my self reflection, Papa still thinks I'm a toy poodle with the bark of a standard, and Grandpere advises that I wear a Western hat rather than a pink polka-dotted one.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Dear Mercury,

Thanks for your latest Blog, I would add Good Sport to that of qualitative values. I enjoyed our game of tag last night, although my form was a bit slow after a tasty supper and generous drinks with your Mama and Papa I felt as though we could have played on and on. I hope you were not too tired afterwards, for myself I slept soundly through the storm. Hugs to you and your family. xx Jane F

Melinda said...

Dear Mercury. I, too, was misrepresented by the bogus breeder Julie. As you know, I arrived at Melinda's with bad teeth and skin irritations, plus the luxating patellas that were not revealed in the transaction. Melinda later noted that Julie's selling of "teacup" poodles was definitely an AKC no-no. But despite all of this, our homes would be very sad without us. So, vive la flaws! But maybe someone should blow the whistle on her...

elle said...

Dearest Darling Lucy!
We shall proudly claim our variations from the (AKC) norm.
:- D