Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Disgruntled



Sometimes a doggie is in the correct time and place to fulfill their fondest dreams and their rightful place in society. Other times, not so much. I fall in the latter category. 

My heart belongs in the film industry. Acting, directing and editing would have been my forte. Like my favorite star, Asta, I could have been a contender. Asta, star of, among other films, the Thin Man series, never won an Oscar (nor did his co- star, Myrna Loy). But his work has long been acknowledged as first-rate. He claimed his rightful place in the universe.

I am the third generation of the impact of what can only be called: devastatingly bad decisions. Sadly, my rightful place in the universe remains unfilled.

If Grandpere had followed his path, as stand up comedian, screen writer and director, Maman would now be a successful screen and TV writer. If Maman had been a successful screen writer, I doubtless would have become a star of big screen and small (and perhaps even made it to the Broadway stage).

But no. After Princeton, Grandpere attended Columbia Medical and became a physician. Maman earned a Ph.D. at University of Wisconsin. True, each had distinguished careers, Grandpere in academic medicine, Maman, a professor of media studies. 

But what about me? Without the Hollywood/show biz contacts, I've wallowed in an academic environment far distant from my true destiny. Their bad decisions and lack of foresight led to half-lives for them (but that's down to them) and devastating loss for me and for the dramatic arts.

I've made the best of things. I take vicarious pleasures where I can find them: I watch classic films on TCM, indie/ international films on Film Struck, Brit films/TV on AcornTV, TV and film on Hulu, independent productions on Hulu, Netflix and Amazon Prime. Enjoyable, yes. Suggestive, yes. Even inspiring, yes. 

But, yes I should have been a contributor.  I could've been a contender. 

Best regards to my faithful friends and followers, Mercury Murphy Roushanzamir

2 comments:

Melinda said...

Brilliant! A bravo performance of the greatly disgruntled canine.
Still, you're a BRAT!

elle said...

So say you, Melinda.