Monday, March 19, 2007

Brief Wander through the Filmic Martini



The successful reception of the previous entry suggested a [rather banal] literary conceit to Mama [pauvre Mama].

"Mercury," she inquired, "why not follow the Chilblaines & Kid Gloves in Literature entry with something like the Martini in Film [& Literature]? Wouldn't that make a good follow-up-- a sort of thematic approach to your little blog?"


I listened to Mama's request & appeared to give my thoughtful consideration to her recommendation. [I noted the "little blog" crack, simply too pitiful to answer.] However, I decided to humor her:




"Shaken not stirred," said James Bond. How familiar is that bon mot! Almost a slogan for James Bond in film & print. The Nick & Nora films plots are driven by that shaken libation.



Here's one you may not be aware of [admittedly, nor was I] : the 1928 film, "Dry martini." Starring Mary Astor [a beautiful woman & personal favorite], it was directed by Argentinian Harry d'Abbadie d'Arrast . A paeon to the dry martini? I shall view it & report.

The martini in film noir[along with ever-present cigarette smoke] is a powerful signifier of sophistication. [film noir is discussed in January 20/21, 2007]

As a sophisticate myself, I excell in the art of preparing a cold, crisp Vodka [ gin, by special request] Martini. Papa et Mama each endeavored to instruct me; it was a case of the student quickly outpacing the teachers. I may also prepare water cress & cucumber sandwiches upon request. Here I offer pictorial evidence of my special acumen--an ice cold martini; one could skate across the top:



Annoyingly, Papa, after reading a draft of today's entry, also chimed in with a concept: "Mercury, why not follow this entry with one about dogs in film [& literature], focusing on the relationship of dogs with children?" As if this blog were based on themes rather than aesthetic whims and literary inspiration. The creative dog is misunderstood in the world of humans.

And I plan to abandon the thematic approach, leaving on a high note. [i.e. this entry & for more on the martini, click the subject heading below].

No More Themes/ "No More Twist," remarked the talented non-humans in one of my favorite novels The Tailor of Gloucester [novel by Beatrix Potter].

2 comments:

elle said...

DO love Mercury's line about
skating atop the icy martini...
comment sent by close friend

elle said...

Thanks for your reference to Nick & Nora! -- anonymously yours,