Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Positioning Play


My mama teaches advertising & mass media classes. "Positioning" is an advertising term that means placing a product or service properly in the marketplace. For dogs, positioning is a kind of communication. Apparently people have an underdeveloped sense of smell. [They seem to communicate through a series of verbal quacks.] Mama et papa have had a long training curve when it comes to positioning. They are only now just beginning to comprehend.
A digression: and why do they speak in that high-pitched baby voice when talking to me or about me? "Come here, little girl," "Do you want a treat, baby?," "You're such a beauty; you are Beauty," etc. Or, they pretend that I'm talking: "Oh, papa, I love you!," "Mistress, Mercury wants out," "Mama, Mercury wants play," etc. More than slightly sickening--sacchrin, even.
Back to positioning. Above, I've illustrated with the Play Position. They eventually got it; rear in air means Play. Now.
Toys are an essential tool. Here are some of mine. My comments.:





What becomes clear through a studied examination of these toys is that they're chosen to infantalize me. A fake bone? A chew toy that looks like a toothbrush [it's supposed to freshen my breath; yuck].That "shoe" at the upper right [the one next to a plastic "shoe"] has tongue! Sure I play with these toys. After all, they squeek, roll, they're chewy.



But here are my absolutely Favorite Toys: Kenneth Cole Shoes & Saeid's fleece socks.


No comments: